Richard T. Shultz

  • Born: April 5, 1920
  • Died: February 18, 2014
  • Location: Lakeway, Texas

Weed-Corley-Fish Funeral Home Lake Travis

411 Ranch Rd. 620 S.
Lakeway, TX 78734
Tel. (512) 263-1511

Tribute & Message From The Family

Richard T. Shultz died suddenly on February 18, 2014 at his home in Lakeway at the age of 93. Born to Leon and Gayle Shultz in Indianapolis, Indiana, on April 5, 1920, his early childhood was spent with his only brother, Bill, playing with neighborhood children and riding with his mother on the interurban trolley to church on Sundays. He and Bill shared a very small room in an 800 square foot house with their grandfather. Richard and Bill peddled honey from his grandfather's bee hives to make money during the Depression. He had a newspaper route and recalled over 70 years later how the publisher docked his collections by the number of papers delivered to subscribers who moved away from their rental homes before he could collect on Saturdays during those difficult economic times.

His family moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana when he was 15 years old. He attended Southside High School where he became progressively more involved in sports and physical fitness, a lifestyle he was to pursue his entire life.

Upon high school graduation he attended Indiana University where he earned in 1942 his B.S. degree in Business Administration and Chemistry, the first in his family to obtain a college degree. Following graduation he worked briefly at Seagram's distillery in Louisville before joining the Army in early 1943. Selected for officer candidate school at Edgewood Arsenal in Maryland, he was subsequently elected by his peers as Battalion Commander. Trained as a Chemical Warfare Officer and attached to an Army Air Service group, he was assigned to the China-Burma-India Theater where he was stationed in Southeastern India for the remainder of the War. With cessation of hostilities, he volunteered to serve as the ammunitions depot operations officer responsible for disposing of large quantities of conventional munitions and chemical bombs over a period of 8 months. Following the safe completion of the mission, he was awarded the Bronze Star.

He returned to Indianapolis in 1946 to start a family with his wife of 2 years, Hester, and soon thereafter began his career at Eli Lilly and Company pharmaceuticals. Starting in the chemical stock room, he advanced into industrial engineering and in 1955 became head of electronic data processing just as the IBM mainframe computers became available to the industry.

In the intervening years, as a member at the USAF National Guard 163rd flight Squadron, 122nd Flight Wing, based in Fort Wayne, Indiana, he was recalled to military duty for the Korean War. He was stationed in Sioux City, Iowa. Following that war, he returned to civilian life and Lilly until his National Guard unit was reactivated for the Berlin Crisis in 1961. He spent a year in Northeastern France until that threat abated. He retired from military service in 1965 with the rank of Colonel, USAF.

When he returned to Indiana in 1962, he transferred to Lilly International and had the opportunity to work in several foreign countries. In 1970 he and his new wife Ellen moved to San Juan, Puerto Rico where he finished the last 15 years of his 37 year Lilly career as Director of Eli Lilly Puerto Rico, S.A.

In 1985 he moved to Lakeway, built a home and began volunteering with the City of Lakeway in 1990. Over the next 8 years he served as volunteer coordinator, council member, and mayor Pro Term. In 1998 he was honored as Lakeway Citizen of the Year. Coincident with these civic activities, he was active in the Lakeway church on numerous committees and was President of the Board of Trustees in 1999.

He flew his own plane for over 25 years, ceasing this hobby at age 82. Physical fitness was a lifetime pursuit until the past few years when health issues limited him. He was a regular attendee of the informal Lakeway "spit and whittle" group where he relished the discussion about local civic issues in the years following his retirement from formal participation in City of Lakeway governance.

During his retirement years he enjoyed traveling back to Indiana, attending the weddings of his grandchildren, and visiting his son's family in Oregon. He was an active participant in numerous whitewater rafting trips in the Northwest.

He remained in control of his personal affairs, living independently with Ellen, until his death. He enjoyed a long and productive life filled with many happy memories and friendships.

He is survived by his wife of 46 years, Ellen; son Ted Shultz of Salem, Oregon; daughter Marilyn Evans of Indianapolis, Indiana; grandchildren include Hillary MacDougall of San Jose, California; Brenton Shultz of Houston, Texas; Brad Shultz of Portland, Oregon; Ian Shultz of Salem, Oregon; Meredith Formsma, Benjamin Evans, Ted Evans all of Indianapolis, Indiana and Susanah Evans of Chapel hill, North Carolina. He has five great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his brother, Bill.

The family will receive friends from 3:00pm to 5:00pm on Saturday, March 8th, at Weed-Corley-Fish Lake Travis, 411 RR 620 South in Lakeway. Services will be at the Lakeway Church at 3:00pm on Sunday, March 9th. Internment at Arlington National Cemetery is anticipated in the weeks thereafter.

Those desiring to make contributions in lieu of flowers are invited to direct them to the Lakeway Church.